Monday, April 09, 2007

Mistake Not Bad Afterall

I got a bee in my bonnet (as my grannie would say) to try Louise Cutting One Seams as capris. I had 2 yards of some loud print rayon that I got for $1.50/yd. I got out the pattern:



and proceeded to follow the instructions for making a capri version. Louise explains how to measure for the "most flattering lengths." I was going to try the longer length. (Being impatient and not verifying my thoughts) I was thinking my fabric was not wide enough to cut using the fold of the fabric (which I would have been able to do as I found out later in the process)I proceeded to fold the fabric in half lengthwise, cut a snip, then tore the fabric in half. Well, yes, there was a problem. It wasn't the exact half for some reason (operator induced, of course) so I had to resort to the shorter length version. But with that said, there was a silver lining to my "impatience" and I now had enough for a sleeveless top.

What do you think? I think I like it!




The top is Kwik Sew 3049 shortened to a top:



I've had this pattern for a while and had yet to use it. So I gave it a try. The dresses are bias cut dresses (which I hadn't realized--well, I knew view A- stripe was, but I was assuming the others were on the straight). My top is not bias cut, I barely had enough fabric to cut on the straight. But I like the way it came out, and I think I will make the bias dress for the hot summer.

I'm so AADD or something. This had not been on my radar as my "next project," but I just glommed on to it today. I guess that's OK. At least I have a new outfit. And it only cost $3.00 at that!

2 comments:

  1. Cute new summer outfit! I love it when stuff comes together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Debbie, it is great when you can turn a mistake into a creative design or outfit. I think it is cute!

    ReplyDelete