I didn't have to get out of the house today. I did errands yesterday that I would normally do today, but thunderstorms and flash floods were predicted for today (AND WE NEED THE RAIN SO BADLY) that I decided loading groceries, taking a package to the PO, etc. were better done on a dry day. I'm glad I made that decision. The rain began falling last night. It has stopped for a while, but more is anticipated tonight. I emptied 3" from the rain gauge this morning when I dared walk out the door. 3" is a good start, thank you!
So I made it up to the sewing room for a few hours, and this is what I accomplished today.
Kwik Sew 3740 had been on my radar screen for a while, but I couldn't decide what fabric to use. I decided at the spur of the moment that the red RPL wanted to be this top.....and so it did!
Since RPL is not so stretchy, I added .5" to each side seam. It fine but I wish I had added a smidge more at the bust line area. Negative ease is not for me generally speaking. I made the medium, which usually works fine with KS patterns, but I usually use more "stretchy" fabric. This will definitely work for me, but lesson learned.
The neckline is very nice and looks good on the body IMO. This had not really been planned as a part of the Top a Month sew along for which I have committed, but.......I'm counting it. The only thing I changed while sewing this one is that I understitched the front neckline seam to the body of the top. If the collar dropped certain ways, the neck seam showed. Didn't like that. So this small change seems to have solved that little problem.
I still have the Cutting Line Heart's a Flutter shell on the radar for the TAM. It will be black--a good basic that I really need.
Very cute. The neckline is very graceful!
ReplyDeleteThank you for that reminder to understitch that collar. Tout red top is wonderfully vibrant.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great color. Thanks for the hint on working with RPL fabric. I have two tops made from RPL that I'm sure I would wear more if there was positive ease. Great idea.
ReplyDeleteLove that color! I know it looks great with your hair.
ReplyDeleteGreat neckline and love the red shade.
ReplyDeleteVery pretty top and I too love RPL.
ReplyDelete