While running errands earlier this week, I decided to stop by a thrift store that I hit maybe four times per year when I happen to be in the area. I stopped the first time to look for blankets, towels, and other things that could be used at the animal hospital. They can always use extra towels.
The second or third time I stopped in, I found a beautiful gown (for sleeping) made of pink cotton batiste with lace - brand new - Christian Dior with a Neiman's tag and the original price tag still attached. With a price tag of $2.75 I couldn't resist buying it for a friend. I knew she would appreciate the great find.
I've picked up a few items here and there and, at times, left empty handed. I'm not a diehard thrifter, but I do enjoy a good deal if I can happen on to one.
This last visit yielded this 100% silk man's shirt in an XL. I wanted it for the silk. I thought I could squeeze a top out of it and I was successful. So this:
became
this:
After washing/drying the shirt, I cut the Louise Cutting Hearts a Flutter shell. I did change up the pattern. I cut the top as one piece. The original pattern has the bottom (hem) section of the pattern cut separately. You can see the pattern here.
Also, rather than top stitching the neck facing at the neck edge and then an inch or so from the neck edge, I just edgestitched at the neckline.
Then I finished the armscyes as Belinda of Sew-4-fun describes in her January 14, 2012, blog post. This may just be my new favorite way to finish a sleeveless top. Thanks Belinda! I'm sure I had read that threads article in #145 when it was issued, but never tried the technique. I'm glad I tried it today.
This top will be a nice addition to wear with my Hot Patterns tan/taupe Marakesh pant I made last summer from brussels washer linen/rayon. I know it's February, but it's hard not to be thinking about summer as the temps have been unseasonably warm; it has been in the 70's which is warmer than our norms. We generally have our coldest weather in February, but not yet this year. Of course, it is Texas; we may have snow next week.
I have no clue what might come out of the sewing machine next, BUT I do need to hem a pair of Peggy Sagers' Yoga pants for my Sis.
What a great upcycling/repurposing project. Your HAF top is so, so much better than the man's shirt! And I like the edge finish. Perfect!
ReplyDeleteGreat upcycle!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful up cycling job. It looks like something that would be a joy to wear
ReplyDelete