Until very recently, I hadn't had to deal with one of the new irons that MUST turn itself off after what seems to be 60 seconds after I turn my back on it.
For at least 10 years, I used either a little Black and Decker (that probably cost all of $15 new) or my EuroPro with the steam canister that I won from my Janome Sewing Dealer in a Christmas in July drawing. THAT was a nice iron. Well, it finally gave up the ghost; it would heat, but no longer steam. It had been subjected to couple of falls off the ironing board during it's lifetime which could have contributed to its demise. I sure hated to see it go.
I couldn't decide what I wanted to buy. I could still use my little Black and Decker, but I take it with me to sewing classes, etc., and I decided I needed something else for the home sewing room. In the interim of deciding "what to buy," I bought a Shark from Walmart - I think less than $30 (don't remember for sure). Naturally, it is one of those irons that tries to keep us from hurting ourselves or burning the house down.
The steam is very good. It heats quickly, but I hated having to "turn it back on" most times I needed to use it after sewing a few seams. I've read reviews of irons on Stitchers Guild, and understood that there are one or two irons where the timed off can be by-passed. I also read the woes of many who purchased (and paid high $$) for name brand irons that lasted "just until the short warranty ran out." I simply couldn't decide (or didn't want to decide).
So, why not purchase a "vintage" iron that WILL NOT turn itself off. I'm not sure what happened to Mom's iron. Maybe my sister has it...........Anyhow, I logged on to E-bay. There are lots of irons listed. I bid on one iron that was vintage 1960's (either a GE or Sunbeam) that was still packaged in it's original packing, as if it had never been used. I, of course didn't win that one.
Then I ran across this one. The listing read, "Sunbeam Steam and Dry Iron. Belonged to a professional seamstress. It was well cared for. Signs of use, of course. Perfect working order. Original box and instructions included." I bid (and at the end was the only bidder), and won this little jewel for $21 (+shipping). Hopefully, she will last a while. She arrived today, and I gave her a test drive. She performed so very well. Right now I'm very happy! She stays on (and hot) until I.turn.her.off.
Jeans are cut; color on my monitor is showing lighter shade than in real life.


Oh you are lucky!! I'm one of those that has been through 4 pricy irons since these essential tools have been "upgraded" and "computerized" with important safety features added! Bah!
ReplyDeleteYou did good.
I have a Reliable v100 and I override the auto shutoff. I love it. But I bet this is a great iron and it was certainly a great price!
ReplyDeleteI bet you are going to love this iron. It looks nice and heavy.
ReplyDeleteLet us know how this works out for you. Nothing better than a "vintage" tool!
ReplyDelete