Thursday, January 07, 2010

Update on Knitting and the Foot/Feet

First off, here is the back of a sleeveless tank I started with the "Regina Print" color: "Party" yarn. It is so very silky soft and is 70% rayon/30% silk. I have 4-5" completed on the front. I started with a pattern from an old KnitnStyle magazine. I couldn't get the lace pattern that was the lower border to work for me, so I just modified to my own "easy k one row/p one row" pattern at the bottom and a two row inset further up the body of the front.



As I would get tired with that, I have two other projects "in progress." One is the simple scarf from eyelash yarn. I had made one of these a number of years ago and I lost it a few weeks ago while shopping. Bummer! It provided "just enough" warmth around the neck as I got in/out of the car while running errands. So??? just knit another.

The third WIP is a cowl made from my recently delivered pink Bali (Tahki Yarns). It's a ribbon type yarn, 100% bamboo. Again, nice and soft............. You will find the pattern for this lovely here.



I do hope to eventually get these completed.

On to the feet..............

I went to see the doctor yesterday. Here's the feet before the visit:



I was very anxious to get all that bandaging removed. It was slipping toward the toes after being on for a week. Plus, once the bandages were off, I could get it wet so that meant a real bath without the foot being tied up in plastic bags hanging over the side of the tub. I just don't think my body is made for bathing with one leg/foot hanging over the tub side--EVEN WITH MY YOGA PRACTICE!

The right foot was operated on October 7, so you can see the healing process so far. The scar should continue to fade, but the scar doesn't bother me that much, actually.

OK, next photo is graphic. I have a weak stomach and I have handled looking at the incisions OK, but if you don't handle such well, I just want to warn you.

So, here it is AFTER the bandage was removed.



The stitches will be removed next Wednesday, and I *may* be able to go into athletic shoes rather than the wonderful black velcro shoe.

So far, I've been asking myself, "why did I wait so long to have this done?" Of course, surgery has come a long way in recent years.....so had I had it done earlier, I might not have done as well with whatever the procedure would have been at the time. Oh, well, it is what it is--"done now."

As with the first foot, I was off the heavy pain meds the second full day after surgery. For one, I don't handle pain meds well - stomach upset, etc., AND I hate that "zombie feeling" it gives me. I've done fine on Advil and arthritis strength Tylenol.

Some of the bruising and pain/soreness is from the restraint the doctor must use to hold the foot in place for the procedure. It's been tugged, hammered, and diced (all my interpretations).

Anyhow, I still keep it elevated as much as possible (which is alot right now). That helps keep the swelling down. I am slowly getting back into some everyday activity. In fact, we won't be eating a Steamer tonight. I'm cooking smothered steak!

I appreciate your comments and well wishes! I'm already thinking about what sewing projects should be "next on the table."

7 comments:

  1. Oh my! It must be nice to have the bandages off,I hope you are not in too much pain! and that your foot heals quickly :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just looking at your poor foot honestly makes mine hurt. I feel the need to take some Aleve right now! I am such a wimp. I have a bunion that needs to be removed, BUT--maybe not, after all!

    Great that you have knitting to do while your recoupterating. I love to knit too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:46 PM

    I was just thinking about you and the blog and here is a photo of the new feet. I am such a chicken and looking at them makes me hurt also. Of course having the nice new feet will be wonderful for you and you are on the uphill side now.
    I love the knitting projects. Where did you get the pattern for the eyelash scarf if you don't mind me asking? I have become a big fan of scarves the last couple of years. I knitted an afghan and some houseshoes once but never a scarf.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wishing you a speedy recovery and less pain. I know from experience that being all bandaged up like that is no fun at all. But the result is worth it I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my...your poor feet! Your knitting looks fantastic, though. It looks like that yarn is just so silky and gorgeous, whatever you make with it will just feel wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I've been there ! It's SO good to get bandages and strapping off. The first bath/shower after is just heaven. I'm glad you're on the mend.

    Don't bruises come in the lovliest colors ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your feet look GREAT! Seriously. I had both of mine done years and years ago and am so glad I did. Bunions and 'bunionettes' on both feet, plus moving the muscle or whatever it is to keep the big toe straight. Mine have been good for 42 years now.

    What did they do to the little toes? Do they still just remove a section of the bone where the bunion is?
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete