So after Curves exercise this morning, I came home, made a pineapple/cranberry coffee cake (DH LOVES it!), surfed internet fabric shops (and managed not to buy anything even though I was very tempted!), and headed to the sewing room.
I was browsing the stash for possible fabrics for the next Burda jacket. I pulled out and washed some black/white plaid suede feeling cotton. It's in the dryer now so I'll think about it more before I decide. I have a black plastic separating zipper that is just the right length for the zippered version of the jacket....but back to today's subject.
I haven't sewn many Hot Patterns. I really liked the Cabana T after I watched Trudy's videos (and probably reading pattern reviews on blogs--but I can't remember which ones--sorry) so I ordered the pattern. I traced off a size 12 and noted on the pattern that I should use 5/8" seam. The pattern called for 3/8" seams but since I fell between the size 10 and size 12, I decided to cut the 12 and take the bigger seam allowance. Then I promptly put it all away--months ago. Well, today, I wanted a simple and quick project.
So I pulled it out. You can see it here on the HP webiste if you are unfamiliar with the pattern. You may have to scroll down on the page that pops up to actually see the pattern.
I happened to have some very soft black with white striped cotton knit. I think it came from Pursley's in Duncanville, but can't really say for sure. It's been around for a l-o-n-g time in the stash.
I cut it single layer to aid me in matching the stripes. I also cut the neckline 3/4" higher. It went together well, except that I had trouble with the neckband. I would have thought since I cut the neck higher that I might have had to shorten the neckband, but as it was I was barely able to stretch it enough to get it around the neck without too much puckering. It was probably the fault of the fabric's stretch. After sewing and ripping a few times, I finally got the band on to my satisfaction (not perfect).
So here it is with some threads still hanging--more trimming to be done.
To add support to the hems--sleeve and garment--I serged tricot fusible interfacing to the edges of the hems, fusible side out, turned up and pressed. Worked out pretty well.
You can see I'm on black fabric this week---I didn't have to change serger thread!
Not sure how well you can see in the photo above, but I used the cover stitch machine to stitch the hems, around the neckband and around the armhole with the serged side on the right side--like shown on the pattern envelope. Just call me the copy cat!
That is one great T! I love HotPatterns.
ReplyDeleteThat is such a cute top-love the stripes. I'll bet most of us have picked certain stash projects because the serger, coverstitch and sewing machine is ready to go. Lol! mssewcrazy
ReplyDeleteGreat looking top. I've seen quite a few of the Hot Patterns made up and think I really should try one.
ReplyDeleteThat's a great tee! The neckband gives it a unique look.
ReplyDeleteI really love this look. I have yet to try to use the my serger for decorative stitching on the outside. Yours makes me want to try it out!
ReplyDelete