Sunday, March 23, 2008

My Easter Afternoon

This afternoon's project was strictly off the cuff. I had no real plans this afternoon, but felt the urge to get into the sewing room after lunch.

I have this dress that I like. It is RTW. I like the way it fits. I like how the armholes feel. None of the sheaths that I've made fit as well (at least the way I like)as this one.



I certainly didn't want to to rip this one apart (like I have done with some other clothes) to make a pattern as I still wear this one. I remembered a class I had attended some years back titled, "Rip it off with tape" taught by Jean Haas. In fact, I actually knew where the tape I had left over from that class. So I began.



I folded the front of the dress in half matching side seams and shoulder seams and pinned along those lines. Then I pinned the center front fold. Then I began to tape. Around the curves, I tore off short strips to main the curve. As I recall, Jean recommended using the narrow tape for the outline and the wider tape to "fill in" the larger portions. I taped over the darts but marked points and lines.





After everything is taped, then carfully pull the "tape pattern" away from the garment. The tape hasn't hurt the fabric (in fact, it's pulled all the lint from it--cool!).



Cut the darts open so the "tape pattern" will lay flat and place it on pattern tracing material.



Trace around the pattern, add seam allowances and markings and the pattern is done. I didn't go to the trouble of cutting facings yet as I want to "test" the pattern, and I probably won't get to that part until at least tomorrow.

I hope this works!

And as a P.S., I have a kitten update. Here is a photo of the 3rd kitten that was hiding out in the garage. See him peeping at me?



We have named him "Fraidy." Shortly after I snapped this photo, I fed them in the crate I had been keeping the other two in with the door open. He went in to eat with his siblings and YES, I got him closed in so that I can handle him some hoping he will come around. One of them is a real pet now (named Friendly) and the other one is shy but likes to be petted (named Shyly). Hows that for names for triplets? Friendly, Fraidy and Shyly.

No comments:

Post a Comment